Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Little Knitted Gift Bags


I absolutely love wrapping gifts. My family has teased me for years for the huge collection of wrapping paper I have. I buy it on sale after the holidays.  I even packed up my collection of several rolls of brand new wrap to take with me when we moved several states away. Lately, though, I have been wrapping my gifts in plain white tissue paper that I get in bulk at Costco and embellish it with crocheted ribbons and flowers. I will post about that later, but today I wanted to share my little knitted bags. I recently made several of these out of leftover sock weight yarn but you could use any weight yarn and actually any number of stitches.  These bags are perfect to wrap gift cards or jewelry. You could make them bigger to fit larger items.


I embellished the bags with buttons from my stash.  My favorite one is this plain gold bag with a Christmas button I recently bought at Jo-Ann's.

Little Knitted Gift Bags

Materials:
oddments of fingering weight yarn
set of US size 1 or 2 double-pointed needles
various buttons for decoration

Gauge: not really important
7 sts = 1 inch
Bag measures 4 3/4 inches by 3 3/4 inches

Cast on 60 stitches and divide evenly on 3 double-pointed needles. Join in the round, without twisting.
Rnds 1-12: knit
Rnds 13-18: *k2, p2*, repeat around
Rnd 19: work eyelet round, *k2, yo, p2 tog*, repeat around

Knit every round for 3 more inches or until desired length. Turn bag inside out and work a 3 needle bind off to close bottom.

Use a length of ribbon or crochet a draw string to thread through the eyelet round. Embellish with buttons.



No comments:

Post a Comment